School Based Health Center
The School Based Health Center is Open All Summer!
"Improved Learning Through Improved Health"
The School Based Health Center is now back in its new and improved renovated clinic next to the office in Houghton Lake High School.
Sponsored by MidMichigan Community Health Services with funding by the Michigan Department of Community Health, Michigan Department of Education and Roscommon County United Way.
Next to the Office/Counseling Office in Houghton Lake High School
All Houghton Lake enrolled students ages 10-21 years old including the High School, Middle School and Alternative Education Buildings with or without medical insurance. Dependent children of students are also eligible for services. Adults cannot be seen in the SBHC.
Although crisis intervention and emergency care do not require parental consent, regular medical services require a signed consent from a parent or guardian before services are provided. The following services are available from the Health Center:
- Physical exams/sports physicals*/well child checks
- Lab testing (blood, urine, glucose, Strep, etc.)
- Sick/minor illness (fever, sore throats, earaches, etc.)
- Diagnosis and/or management of chronic illnesses/diseases
- First Aid (cuts, bloody noses, etc)
- Dispensing over the counter medications (Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc.)
- Individual and group mental health counseling
- Referral for specialty care (vision, hearing, dental, orthopedics, etc.)
- Health education
- Coordination of health care
*Sports Physicals are free and by appointment only
Parental Consent is required for all patients under 18. Students from the Middle School can be seen at the clinic with/without a parent. If a parent feels their child can safely walk from the Middle School to the High School and cannot attend an appointment, the parent may call the Middle School office and/or send a note of permission to allow the student to walk over. Visitors to the clinic from other buildings must sign in at the main office.
Current Michigan Law allows for confidential (no parental consent) services to minors in these areas:
- Counseling and referrals for mental health, physical/sexual abuse, neglect, substance abuse
- Referral for prenatal care
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- Gynecological services
Services that will not be provided at the Health Center include:
- Birth control pills or devices cannot be dispensed or prescribed on school property (MI State Law)
- Abortion counseling or referral
- Prenatal care
All insurances are accepted for services provided. SBHC staff can assist with Medicaid enrollment for patients and families. No student will be turned away due to inability to pay.
- Medical Provider: Carissa Bonner, MS, CPNP
- Behavioral Health Counselor: April David, LPC
- Medical Assistant: Veronica Michels, CMA
- Health Educator: Alyson Koch
All Students must have an annual consent form on file to be seen in the clinic.